The facial profile is fundamentally determined by the projection of the nose and both auricular pavilions, and is important in the facial image we perceive of ourselves. When the nose is larger than usual or has an irregular profile, it can cause complexes. Rhinoplasty provides a solution to these aesthetic problems.
The aim of rhinoplasty surgery is to shape a natural-looking, beautiful and functional nose.
What is rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgery operation used to repair or reshape the nose.
It is a very common operation that modifies the size, shape or proportions of the nose to achieve better symmetry and balance with the facial ensemble.
Its aim is to:
- Solve problems of size, width, volume, position of the nostrils or profile of the nose.
- Change the shape of the nasal tip.
- Improve the appearance of the nostrils.
- Correct asymmetries.
- Correct breathing problems caused by a deviated septum.
Information about rhinoplasty surgery
Surgical time: 2 hours
Anaesthesia: Local or general
Hospitalisation: 1 night or not required
Recovery: 9 to 12 days
Before and after rhinoplasty surgery
Reasons for rhinoplasty
There are two main reasons for carrying out an operation of this kind:
The nose is a fundamental element in our image.
For this reason, most patients have it operated on when it presents a certain deformity that affects their self-esteem:
- When from birth the nose is too big or too small with respect to the rest of the facial structure.
- When the nasal dorsum is too pronounced.
- When the tip is excessively wide.
- When there are deviations or deformations of the septum.
- When the nostrils are excessively open.
The nose is an organ of the respiratory and olfactory system.
Occasionally, it must be operated on for health reasons rather than for aesthetic reasons.
- When the septum is born with a very deviated septum.
- Due to an accident or injury that causes pain or obstructions that make breathing difficult.
Process prior to the operation
Before performing nose surgery, the facial features are studied to find the perfect harmony between nose and face.
The bone, cartilage and skin structure is analysed to determine whether the profile should be reaffirmed, reduced or increased.
The results of the operation are immediate.
What are the main benefits of a nose job?
- Improved self-esteem and social relations.
- It noticeably slims the face.
- It beautifies the image.
- Nose jobs are safe and affordable.
- The result can be seen beforehand.
- Improves health and respiratory capacity.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a rhinoplasty operation take?
Between 1 and 2 hours with local or general anaesthesia.
From what age can a nose job be performed?
From the age of 18. And it is not advisable to have it done after the age of 60.
This is one of the operations most requested by teenagers. The important thing is that the surgeon appreciates that the nose has completed 90% of its minimum growth (which occurs between the ages of 13, 14 in girls and 15, 16 in boys). However, this operation is not performed until the age of 18 due to the development of the nose itself and the maturity of the individual.
What should I do and what should I not do after a rhinoplasty operation?
During the first 10 days:
- Try to sleep with your head up, sleep semi-incorporated for the first few days.
- Do not eat food that is too hot or hard to chew.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Do not smoke.
- Avoid sport and physical exertion.
- Avoid blowing your nose.
- Sneeze with your mouth open and speak as little as possible.
- Avoid facial gestures.
- If you wear glasses, use contact lenses 3 days after the operation.
- Do not get the area wet.
- Keep the splint on for 6 to 7 days.
The first two or three months:
- Avoid sun, cold and wind on your face.
- Avoid sudden head movements.
- Take the medication prescribed by the surgeon.
Will I have to stay in hospital after the operation?
As a precaution, you will be admitted to the clinic for one night after the operation.
What is the postoperative period after rhinoplasty?
It is generally performed under local anaesthesia.
After the operation, patients will wear a thermoplastic splint that will maintain the new shape of the nose and reduce postoperative swelling.
Exceptionally, plugs may be placed for 3 or 4 days to prevent bleeding.
In general, rhinoplasty is not a painful surgery, so you will not need to take painkillers.
Will my face swell or bruise after the operation?
It is not a painful operation. You will not have pain, but there will be swelling of the face (oedema) and bruising (ecchymosis) for the next 3 to 4 days (swelling) and 2 to 3 weeks (bruising).
The splint or plaster cast will protect the area for 7 to 10 days.
How long will it take to be fully recovered?
Full normal recovery takes 4 to 6 weeks.
What is the cost of a rhinoplasty operation?
It will depend on many factors, so it is important not to get carried away by other people or by the desire to have the same nose as a famous person.
If you are considering a rhinoplasty operation, the best thing to do is to call and discuss the matter, see the options, the type of operation it will be and the most suitable results for you.
Professional advice is essential before you make your decision.
Dr. Teresa Bernabéu is a specialist in rhinoplasty surgery in Alicante. If you need more information related to this cosmetic operation, please contact us.